The following anonymous comments were the total written comments from student evaluations for CIS 211 in Fall 2007. Every comment about the instructor is here. Written comments are by each student in the following order: comments about the instructor, about the course organization and process, about faculty / student interaction, about textbooks and support materials, and 'other' comments.
Very effective teacher. He is always on track and will answer any question you have. Overall great teacher to work with. Very understanding and helpful.
Fantastic instructor, made learning VSAM and SQL fun. Course was very well organized. [Instructor was] very easy to get along with and to go to for assistance.
Good instructor, overall pleased with course. However, could use a little more COBOL examples such as sample code, more in depth about how to do certain things. Very well prepared for tests and learned everything explained in course outline.
After buying the additional book (SQL in 10 Minutes) I had a better idea of the subject. I learned a lot from this class.
There was no textbook other than the one Dean Finley supplied which was great. Also I purchased the SQL book he recommended which was great.
He is an amazing instructor, one of the best Dutchess has. This course is very well organized and documents were easy to read and understand. The instructor is fun and insightful, he made the lectures pleasant. [Textbook] very helpful and informative, all textbooks should be written this way.
Over 96% of all responses to rated evaluation questions were marked "1", Strongly Agree. There were no neutral and no negative responses.
The following anonymous comments were the total written comments from student evaluations for CIS 211 in Fall 2006. Every comment about the instructor is here. Please note, there were only three students completing the forms, and only two provided written comments. Written comments are by each student in the following order: comments about the instructor, about the course organization and process, about faculty / student interaction, about textbooks and support materials, and other comments.
- Great teacher. Great organization. Excellent interaction. Made programming fun.
- You are awesome.
The following anonymous comments were the total written comments from student evaluations for CIS 211 in Fall 2005. Every comment about the instructor is here. Every form had written comments. Written comments are by each student in the following order: comments about the instructor, about the course organization and process, about faculty / student interaction, about textbooks and support materials, and other comments.
Very wise, knows his stuff, enthusiastic about course, excellent student care. Always there for help, made time after class and email support was fast. Easy to follow deadline, keep on track. Mr. Finley was always eager to help. Puts students first, makes time to help all. Makes you understand work not just give s you the answer. Great study guide by Mr. Finley. Clear and concise, straight to the point. Keep up the good work. TEACH FULL TIME.
Class was interesting and fun. Tests helped me understand the programs a bit better. Got a kick out of the discussions. Using the support materials helped out with doing the programs. Like the jokes on tests.
Great teacher, one of the best at the college. Caring, went out of his way for every student. Passionate about his work. Mr. Finley was an excellent teacher. Enthusiastic about the material and cares about his students.
I liked the teacher. I have to say that when I first started the class and was thinking about doing this review, I had something I was going to comment on, but now I can't think of what it was at all. So, good job changing my mind about this class!! I thought that breaking down the programs into parts was confusion but I can see why you did it. When I missed two classes because of a family emergency, he was extremely understanding and sympathetic. He worked with me so I wouldn't have to drop the class, more than I can say for other teachers on this campus.
Mr. Finley is a very friendly person who gives students every opportunity. He tries to keep discussion relevant and interesting / fun. Class was organized efficiently. Mr. Finley is easy to work with. He takes student concerns to heart. Mr. Finley wrote his own text for the course and provides it free of charge which helps financially. The text was very helpful for learning / studying.
I thought that the course as a whole went very well. Even though I had taken COBOL over a year ago and was very rusty, Mr. Finley helped me every step of the way to make sure that I would get through the assignments and understand what I was doing. This was a very enjoyable class to be in and Mr. Finley is one of the best instructors I've ever had - even if he didn't tell us about 'Fred'.
The instructor is very dedicated to what he's doing, very [much in] tune in terms of pushing students forward. If only 50% of all teachers were that open. The course was challenging and taught in a friendly environment. I learned, in a total of 4 hours, more about SQL than I've ever learned in any other class. Isn't that something? Keep up with the good work. Too bad you don't teach another language.
Great instructor. Good class, but not great.
Mr. Finley is a well-informed instructor. He's not only an expert in his field but he is also proficient at passing that knowledge onto his students. In short, he's an exciting teacher and he makes you want to learn more. The course was very well organized with more aids than I could care to use. There is definitely a teacher-to-student relationship but respect was mutual. The text provided a good study reference but most of my learning came from the instructor. It was a great semester, full of new learning experiences. But overall, I'm glad it's over!
Great teacher, taught us a lot. The book he gave out was great.
Mr. Finley was a joy to have as a teacher. He helped me out a lot, especially towards the end. No matter what the outcome of this class is, I learned so much, and am happy to have taken this class. I didn't have much problems with course except for myself being a poor programmer and trying to "cut corners", but other than that I enjoyed the class as a whole.
Over 97% of all responses to rated evaluation questions were marked "1", Strongly Agree. There were no neutral and no negative responses.
The following anonymous comments were the total written comments from student evaluations for CIS 211 in Fall 2004. Every comment about the instructor is here. Every form had written comments. Written comments are by each student in the following order: comments about the instructor, about the course organization and process, about faculty / student interaction, about textbooks and support materials, and other comments.
- Mr. Finley goes over concepts in enough detail that everyone in the class understands it. He creates a climate where students feel free to ask questions.
- Mr. Finley is the best instructor I have had the pleasure of being my professor. I wish he taught CICS next semester. He is very helpful and patient with his students. Best instructor in DCC. Very friendly and always available for help with the assignment.
- Instructor is one of the finest in the CIS program. Instructor meets everything well above expectations. Instructor is very apt at explaining and helping with course material.
- Very helpful, more interested in a student's understanding of the material above all else. Very organized, provided handouts and study guide.
- Excellent teacher; taught me a lot this semester; very understandable and made class feel easy. Overall, course went well and I learned a lot. Very respectful and nice teacher.
- Great instructor. Would like to have him teach all my classes. Organization was good. Resourceful and helpful. Course seemed just fine to me.
- Instructor is well prepped and educated on the topics. Course is very well organized. The test grading practices, while efficient, could have been explained a tad bit more, as they were somewhat confusing. The instructor gives off a very kind and caring feeling towards students and works with them to help as much as possible. Alternate textbook and handouts were exceptional.
- Very knowledgeable about what he was teaching. Patient, understanding, and willing to work with you until problem was solved. He knew everything he was explaining and explained things thoroughly. One of the best professors I've had. Very organized. Everything was taught in the correct order and pace. Very helpful. Cared about helping one fix a problem or understand a problem. Overheads and handouts were great tools for understanding the material.
Over 99% of all responses to rated evaluation questions were marked "1", Strongly Agree. A single response was marked a "2", Agree Somewhat. There were no neutral and no negative responses.
Department Head, Dr. Leah Akins, commented: "Wow! These have to be the best evaluations I have seen. It really shows when almost every student feels compelled to add comments - 'best teacher', 'wish he taught all my CIS classes', etc. Thank goodness you came back to us to teach; it is clearly something you excel at and that we could learn from."
The following anonymous comments were the total written comments from student evaluations for CIS 211 in Fall 2003. Every comment about the instructor is here. A few forms had no written comments. Written comments are in the following order: comments about the instructor, about the course organization and process, about faculty / student interaction, about textbooks and support materials, and other comments.
- I think this is the best teacher I have ever had. It's too bad he's not teaching all the CIS classes. He always got back to me as quickly as possible. Very passionate and understanding. Instructor made his own manual and it was exceptional. It got out the things we didn't need to read. Wonderful and caring teacher.
- Mr. Finley has demonstrated and exercised Academic practice above and beyond the requirement of CIS 211. He donated time to aid students in CIS 124. Provides excellent test preparation materials and allows students who want a challenge to learn extra while keeping struggling students on track. Always available by e-mail and in lab. Study guide well organized and a great reference for both exams and coding assignments. Professor goes above and beyond. Willing to help students because he really cares about us learning the material (even when it's not his course).
- I would definitely recommend Mr. Finley to other students. He is understanding and he tries to go with the pace that you go. He'll make sure you understand what is being taught. He is a WONDERFUL PROFESSOR!!! Bookstore book OK; Finley's book - good/excellent. Good job - Thanks for all the additional help with regards to CIS 124 info.
- Mr. Finley is a wonderful instructor. I would recommend him to anyone and everyone. He is truly one of the best instructors I ever had. He is very organized and explains everything in great detail. Mr. Finley makes himself very available. He is great with everyone. The fact that he made his own study guide and taught everything we needed to know from it and at the same time giving us a permanent reference guide is very impressive. There isn't anything I could suggest to make this course better when you have Mr. Finley as a teacher.
- Knows material very well. E-mail was sent back to me within a very fast amount of time, projects and tests were also given back the following class. Mr. Finley is always around to help and is concerned about his students. He wrote the only book we need. It was a pleasure to have him for the last year. Mr. Finley is a great teacher. He knows what he is doing.
- Outstanding. Outstanding. Outstanding. The course handout was far more effective than any purchased book. Professor Finley went beyond his duties as an instructor and tutored CIS 124 students. A credit to DCC. He should teach more classes.
- Mr. Finley made the class very interesting and challenging. He was encouraging and helpful in class as well as lab. He kept the tone casual but serious enough to keep the class interesting without being boring. The course was fun and connected many other courses together. The study guide was "key" in the course. The best CIS course I have taken to date.
- Made you feel comfortable and learned a lot.
- I would highly recommend this teacher, very well taught. Everything from the test, homework, processes were all very structured. Always there help through e-mail, and always looked for a way to improve. The two courses that I had with Mr. Finley are some of the best times I have ever had in a class.
- Excellent. Well organized.
- This professor is a great communicator. Truly cares about student learning. Very organized and effective instructor. Reviewed where a student was, gradewise, periodically throughout the course. Again Mr. Finley has gone above and beyond his normal job scope, to aid in the learning of material outside of CIS 211, for CIS 124 students. Thanks, Dean Finley.
97% of all responses to rated evaluation questions were marked "1", Strongly Agree. 3% of responses were marked "2", Agree Somewhat.
The following anonymous comments were the total written comments from student evaluations for CIS 123 in Spring 2003. Every comment about the instructor is here. A few forms had no written comments.
- Ideas were very well taught and straightforward; very organized. All material was outlined in handouts. Was always available for email questions and after class. So far, this has been the best teacher I have had for programming or any course.
- Mr. Finley is a great instructor. He is very patient and understanding especially when it comes to realizing everyone learns at a different pace. I look forward to having him for CIS 211.
- I would be more than happy to recommend Mr. Finley to other students. He is a wonderful professor. Mr. Finley is very helpful to his students. Always has time to explain to students who are a little behind. He makes sure that we understand the material before he leaves.
- Extremely organized. Excellent Flowcharting Guide. Always available. Answers e-mail promptly. Handouts extremely useful. Teacher is encouraging and gives students every opportunity for improvement. Good teaching style. Students really learn concept.
- Assignments are fairly difficult but OK. Even though the instructor is on campus only 1 day per week he makes every effort to be available to students. Didn't use the book much at all. Handouts were very good. Overall, very good.
- Excellent teacher. Knows material very well. Looking forward to 211. There is a lot of instruction, with a lot of hands-on learning. Always was available through email, always here when class was scheduled. Great with e-mail. With the lectures, the textbook really wasn't needed that much, although it came in handy sometimes. Like I said before, I am looking forward to CIS211 with Mr. Finley. Great teacher.
This comment was received by e-mail in December 2002:
"I have enjoyed your CIS 211 class very much and would like to see this message inputted in your website. As an instructor, you have always been supportive and encouraging. You do your utmost to make the class easier for your students. For me, COBOL programming has been a struggle. Nevertheless, I have learned many other things from you even though I could not grasp the logic behind programming. Perhaps after taking your course, I have learned to think a little more logically in daily life. You're the nicest teacher I've ever had. Thanks ever so much, Mr. Finley!" - S. H.
This comment was received in a letter, December 2001:
"This letter is long overdue. I just wanted to let you know that you are a wonderful teacher. You made CIS 211 completely understandable. I had gotten so much out of your class and your style of teaching. I really wanted you to be aware of it. Should you ever decide to go back into teaching on a regular basis, please realize it would never be a mistake." " - T. G.
A student said this to me at graduation 2000:
"You are the best instructor I have had since I came to America." - L. P.
This comment was received by e-mail in May 1999:
"I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for all the assistance that you provided throughout the course. It is refreshing to have a knowledgeable, enthusiastic instructor with a sense of humor. As in any undertaking, you get out of it what you put into it, and you made it possible for everyone to progress at their own pace while enabling those that wished, to learn as much as they were able. I felt that you were extremely accessible, more than any other Instructor that I have encountered so far, particularly when considering the timeliness of your responses. I feel that in many cases you went above and beyond reasonable expectations in order to assist us with the tasks at hand. I truly enjoyed being in your class, and once again, would like to thank you for everything. " - T. C.
The following anonymous comments were the total written comments, unedited except for spelling, from student evaluations for CIS 211 in Fall 2002. Every comment about the instructor is here. A few forms had no written comments.
- One of the best teachers I've had in the CIS Curriculum. Always there for the students.
- Great teaching technique. Knows how to keep students involved with the course. Very effective communication outside of class. Very enthusiastic. Great teacher.
- Mr. Finley is one of the finest instructors here @ DCC.
- One of my best instructors.
- Perfect. Very good. One of the best.
- The teacher's teaching style is really great. Again, he is very well organized.
- Mr. Finley is one of the best teachers I've had for my CIS classes. He is the best.
- I think the instructor did an excellent job. However, I think he should demand more of his students. I think his grading is a little too easy. I do not like the testing scheme of mostly T/F or multiple choice questions on a test. Mr. Finley does an outstanding job in answering students e-mails in a very timely manner. He is in the lab before and after class to help students with their questions and assignments. He tries very hard to get the student to pass.
- The instructor is very excellent teacher. I wish every teacher be like him.
- Great setup. Liked everything about the format. Assignments and tests were fun.
- Great teacher.
- He is the best instructor. I would recommend this instructor to another student.
The following anonymous comments were the total written comments, unedited except for spelling, from student evaluations for CIS 211 in Fall 2001. Every comment about the instructor is here. A few forms had no written comments.
- Mr. Finley takes his time to explain in detail and goes out of his way to help you. I learned a lot from this course and I appreciate Mr. Finley's expertise in teaching.
- I thought Dean Finley was a great teacher and went over everything really well. Glad I had him as a teacher.
- I enjoyed CIS211 with Mr. Finley as my teacher. I learned a lot from him, he was a great help.
- Enjoyed this class - excellent instructor! Instructor answers e-mails w/ class questions very quickly - much appreciated! Instructor's own study guide was more than sufficient for this course. Instructor is focused, well-organized, knowledgeable, and fair - wish he was teaching CIS 223!
- A good professor, good communication with students. Always there to help with assignments.
- Mr. Finley is a great instructor. I can not get anyone better than you. Thank you for your help!!!
- Enjoyed class. It was very interesting and I really enjoyed the class. I liked the way the course was set up and enjoyed the study guide.
- Works great with students, sets time just for helping, goes out of his way to make sure every student is learning. Very organized, a great teacher, he covers material to a tee! Very positive and helpful with all students.
- Tries to keep things interesting, will always find something out if he doesn't know it offhand. Liked the personalized booklet he made. Eager to help, always available for extra help. Again I liked his booklet. Good teacher, but usually made us stay the full 3 hours :( I would take him again if given the chance.
The following anonymous comments were the total written comments, unedited except for spelling, from student evaluations for CIS 211 in Fall 2000. Every comment about the instructor is here; only comments that were just about the lab or computer equipment were omitted. You'll see one bad one in there, so you know I'm not leaving anything out. Some forms had no written comments.
- The class was prepared and taught extremely well. I would definitely like to see Mr. Finley teaching additional classes. It has been some time (years) since my last COBOL class and without his instruction and teaching methods I would never have been up to speed to do well in this class. Definitely enthusiastic about the subject!
- Excellent presenter. Very enthusiastic.
- Best teacher I have had at Dutchess! Very, very thorough on all material. Mr. Finley's book was extremely helpful and to the point.
- Very knowledgeable. Very organized.
- As hard as he tries to explain material and assignments, things are not very clear. Sometimes talks down to students when they seek help. I spent an obscene amount of my personal time working diligently on assignments only to have them scrutinized and harshly graded. How hard the student tries is not taken into account, only whether or not it works.
- Very good teacher. Very helpful.
- I enjoyed this class and I believe it's given me a greater understanding of not only COBOL but of other languages as well. SQL in particular was enjoyable (for a change!).
- I like the outline so we don't have to spend all the hours writing notes. More fun than we should be allowed to have!
The following anonymous comments were the total written comments, unedited, from student evaluations for CIS 211 in Fall 1998; only comments that were just about the lab or computer equipment were omitted:
- The instructor, aside from being technically proficient, makes a difficult course enjoyable. Takes the time to explain expectations and make all resources available to meet them. Gives each student the opportunity to learn as much as possible, especially if they grasp the basic subject matter and wish to learn more. I enjoyed the course, felt all was fair, and learned a lot.
- Mr. Finley helped explain file organization extremely well. He was always willing to help when available. The VSAM text never really helped me out. However, the study guide he constructed was an extremely valuable resource.
- Mr. Finley is an excellent instructor.
- I was very pleased that Mr. Finley was available to teach this section of CIS 211.
- Mr. Finley made himself very available to help with any problems. He also understood the needs of night students are different from day students. He also had plenty of material on the system for us to access.
- Excellent email and 211 notes support.
- Would like examples to be given in the lab so students could see results immediately. Would like test questions back to use to study. I feel it's unnecessary to require students to purchase books they don't use. Great teacher.
- Very good with the subject matter very THOROUGH! Most fair teacher I've had. Very personable.
- Thank you Mr. Finley, I hope to see you next semester.
- Mr. Finley is always available via email which is a big plus for night students who can't make it to the lab on nights when there is no class. Mr. Finley helped make a difficult subject seem easy. Wish he'd teach CIS 223 the follow-up course.